This is a follow-up to our initial announcement regarding Senator Morrison’s introduction of SB0752.
In this VLOG, Illinois Association of the Deaf (IAD) President Corey Axelrod and Legislative Chair Jason Altmann share the specific reasons behind each of the proposed amendments. These changes include, but are not limited to the following:
- The Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission (IDHHC) shall be composed of 11 Commissioners that are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
- Requires at least 8 (currently 6) of the 11 commissioners to be people who are deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing.
- Adds emphasis for the IDHHC to serve DeafBlind constituents.
- Modifies the qualifications and duties of the Director of the Commission.
- Provides clarification language regarding the powers and duties of the commission.
- Provides clarification language regarding what the commissioners’ responsibilities are.
To read SB0752 in its entirety, please visit http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/100/SB/10000SB0752.htm.